Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fateful Encounters- Chapter 44

44

 


Michael looked on as Lisa killed the French toast he had made for her.

“Can you slow down?  I am afraid I will have to practice the Heimlich maneuver on you any second.”

Lisa looked up at him and licked a drop of syrup from the corner of her mouth.  He watched her tongue and instantly flashed back to having that very same tongue pleasing him in a million different ways during the past days. 
Focus, Michael.  She said, no more.  For now…
He had not known what had come over him, but he could simply not get enough of her.  Having her with him like this, with only minimal fighting and fussing, gave him hope.  This was how it all began.  This was how it should be.  Hopefully, they both had learned and grown, and now could move forward.  Well, he had to first get rid of some obstacles. 

“You told me to eat.  I’m eating.  You’re just never happy.”
“Not so: I am very happy when you follow orders.  You know that.” He shot her a sexy look and she blushed before returning her attention to the plate he had fixed for her.  He also tried to eat, but found that he was too busy sorting out his thoughts.  
It was so cute when he could still make her blush.  But no, seriously, he had every intention of making sure she took care of herself and this baby.  Lisa tended to get into her head at times and neglect her physical needs.  Not that he doubted her love for her kids, but still- prenatal care was important.   Taking care of Debbie had been easy, and he really did not worry as much.  Debbie knew that her job was to be the vessel for that baby and that she got paid for a job well done.  With Lisa, everything felt different.  This was a baby created the way nature intended.  He shared this experience with another person- one he loved with all his heart.  The more he thought about it, the more certain he became that his personal future would be with Lisa.  He just had to be more circumspect about how they crafted the boundaries of their new relationship.  The problem he faced was that he still had not one hundred percent figured out what had not worked the first time around.  For one thing, she needed to be a little less clingy and insecure.  Possibly, he also needed to make some changes, such as trying to let her in more.  Well, he did not have to figure all that out just yet.  First, he had to figure a way out of the Debbie mess.
Prior to practicing his culinary skills to cook for Lisa, he had spent hours on the phone with his attorneys, trying to find a loophole in his contract with Debbie.  He really did not want to hurt or upset her, but he also needed to be free from the legal bounds that kept them husband and wife, so he could offer a future to Lisa.  They had not approached the subject of marriage or commitment during those three days, but he was sure it would come up again in no time at all. Then, there was the issue of custody for Prince and the new baby.  Knowing that Debbie would be less than thrilled about him wiggling out of the contract did not give him a great negotiation basis.  If he broke his part of the deal, what would keep her from sticking to hers?  No, he had to find a way to get her to agree to hand over the new baby, relinquish all maternal rights to both children, and give him a quickie divorce.  Oh, and she still had to sign several confidentiality agreements he had drafted up concerning what she could reveal to the general public.  Piece of cake.  And right after that he would solve water shortage in Africa and mediate peace in the mid-east. 

What a mess.

Glancing across the table, reminded him what made it all worth it.  He just had to face things head on and talk to Debbie.
 Lisa was finally done and sank back in her chair.  She regarded him with worry, her eyes narrowing as if having been able to read his thoughts.

“So, who called earlier?”

Crap.  She did read his thoughts.

He had been trying to reach Debbie since last night.  He had mulled his dilemma over and over and always came to the same conclusions that he needed to get this done with as the situation was only going to get worse once word about Lisa’s pregnancy got out.  And, in his world, word always seemed to get out somehow.  Well, she called him back this morning and he had asked her over later this afternoon, planning to take the proverbial bull by the horns as soon as Lisa had driven back to Hidden Hills. 

“Called where?” 

Very suave Mike, she will never catch on this way.

“Michael…” Lisa cocked her head and stopped chewing.
“Yes?” He imitated her tone and tried his best to project the very image of innocent nonchalance.
“The phone rang earlier and then it stopped, so I know you got it.”
“How do you know I got it?  The machine might have gotten it.  Or someone around here…”
“Didn’t you give most the staff off?”
“The nanny is here.”

Lisa sighed and cleaned syrup on her plate up very methodically with the last piece of French toast.

“Do you want more?  I can make more you know.  Even though, you don’t really have to eat for two yet, you know.  That actually is a misconception and…”
“Will you cut it out?” The fork landed in a loud clank on the plate, ending his lesson on nutrition and pregnancy.
“What? I can’t help it that I just took away your reason to eat too much.  I don’t want you to come back and blame me when you don’t fit into your itty-bitty outfits. Oh yeah, by the way, you probably should buy jeans that don’t restrict your blood flow.  I don’t want my kid to be deprived of oxygen because you are vain.” He knew he was speaking way too fast and she was not going to let him get away with the obvious distraction technique indefinitely. 
“Michael.  I have had children before, you know?  And, they both made it without brain damage.  Well, they were compromised when their crazy stepfather subjected them to daily rides, popcorn, and sodas, but they are resilient.  As kids are.  So, back to what you are trying so hard not to answer.  Who called?”
“I did not give them daily popcorn and soda.”
Lisa threw her napkin at him.  “You are impossible.”
He giggled.  “Yeah, I’m an impossibly good cook and an amazing, studly lover, and I am a great father…all in one package.”
“You forgot horrible liar.”
“That’s a good thing, right?” He gifted her with a crocked smile, then getting up, he came up behind her, folding his arms around her, nestling his head on her shoulder.
“God knows, why I love you, Michael.  You are a mess.  Just tell me who called.”

He started to kiss her neck, placing soft nibbles on her.  “Hm…you taste like syrup now, even here.” He could feel that his breath affected her, felt the shiver bumps on her skin, heard her soft laughter. 

Ok, so maybe this was going to work after all.

Was it Debbie?”

Shit.  So much for effective distraction.

“You are killing the mood here, Lise.”

Turning, they were eye to eye. 

“What’s the big deal, Mike?  Why won’t you tell me?  Don’t shut me out already.  I thought we are getting somewhere here. I mean getting somewhere beyond fucking each other senseless.”
Gosh! Did it always have to come back to this?  Why did she always think it was just about the sex with him?  Did she really know him this little?  So, what if he didn’t want to upset her?  It was not like he had anything to tell her, so why risk having her blow a gasket for nothing.  He knew she hated when he brought up Debbie.  So, why was she doing it now? He noticed he was chewing on his lip.  It felt tender and full- probably from Lisa biting it a little roughly at some point last night, or this morning, or during the past three days.  Well, ok, maybe he could show her a little good faith, and maybe, just maybe she would not explode.

“Ok, fine.  Yes, it was Debbie.”
“I don’t know why you try to bullshit around when I already had it figured out.”
“Well, you are just too smart for me.” He kissed her nose.
“What did she want?”
“She called me back.”
Her eyes narrowed. “You called her?”

Of course he had called her.  The chances of Debbie contacting him to offer calling the whole arrangement off and moving out of his life voluntarily seemed slim to none. 

“Look, there are some things I need to get clear with her.  I have been wrecking my brain to figure out how to get out of this and I have to try to get her to cooperate.”

She tilted her head, her eyes burning into him like lasers on a search and rescue mission.  Search for the truth- rescue hope for a future.

“Get out of what?” Her voice was almost a whisper.  She suddenly looked scared.
Michael bent forward and kissed her gently.  Her lips stayed cool, but she kissed him back cautiously. Rising, he pulled her up with him, holding her close.
“Girl, haven’t you figured it out yet?  I thought you said you were too smart for me. I need to get out of this marriage.  I want to be with you. I want to be with our baby.” He held her close, not daring to breath, frightened for a second how she would respond. 

Lisa held perfectly still, her body frozen in his embrace.  He felt her chest rising and falling and her heartbeat fluttered against him, but other than that she was like a little scared rabbit waiting for the predator to pass her by.  Had he done this to her?  Had he turned the fierce creature into someone cautious and gun-shy?  Or was this a case of ‘be careful what you wish for,’ and she simply did not know how to handle the prospect of not having Debbie around as a convenient excuse of why they could not be together.  It made him wonder: What would happen after his move?  The ball was in Lisa’s court.  Would she step up or would she run, seeking shelter in feeling alone and abandoned.  Well, if he did not go ahead and did what he had to do, he would never know. 

“I never thought I’d see the day when you shut up for more than a minute.  And it scares the daylightsout of me, Lise.” The words were whispered against her hair. He felt her inhale deeply.
“So, you want to talk to Debbie, in order for you to be free to be with our baby?” 

A sigh escaped, hearing her serious, doubtful tone.  He pulled back and took her by her shoulders.  Her head was lowered and she hid behind the strands of hair falling into her face.  What was it now?  He thought his words would make her ecstatic.  Obviously, she had once again misconstrued what he had meant to say.

“No, I want to talk to Debbie to see how I can be free from our arrangement so we can be together.”
She looked up, but he continued having to guess at the exact expression in her eyes.  “For the baby?”
“I don’t need to be out of the arrangement with Debbie for our baby, Lisa.  I could just pay you child support, you know.” Her insinuation that all this was just for him to get to be with the baby were getting to him. 

Finally, she flipped her hair back, staring at him with an expression that was a puzzling conglomerate of anger, fear, hope, pain…. She was so damn confusing!

“I don’t need your damn money, Michael, you know that.”
“Ah, yeah, I do know that.  I am well aware of that fact.  I am less aware of why the hell you are being so difficult?”
“How am I being difficult?”
“You wanted to know who called, and I told you.  You wanted to know why, and I’m telling y’a.  And now you look at me like you wanna kill me. And this, after I tell you that I’m trying to get away from Debbie.  I thought that’s what you wanted?”
“I don’t want you to do anything you don’t want to do. I don’t want you to give her the boot out of some kind of obligation to the baby.  I don’t want to fear that you’re trading one birth momma for the next.”

His grip on her shoulders increased and he pulled her closer. 

“You should know me better than that.  When was the last time I did anything I didn’t wanna do?”
“You mean, after marrying Debbie? Or, at least you said you didn’t want to do that.”

Her misgivings were getting under his skin. No, he had a ball so far being married to Debbie.  One look at their official pictures made that crystal clear. No showmanship faking could disguise those feelings.

“Yeah, I mean after that.  I was pressured into it and look how that turned out.  So, believe it or not, I am capable of learning my lesson.  Thank you very much.” His tone left no doubt that her accusations had pricked his skin. 

Lisa took a deep breath and she lowered her gaze again.  

“Ok, fine.  I’m just confused, I guess.”
“There’s really nothing to be confused about.  You keep telling me you are tired of feeling like you are only on the periphery of my life.  So, what if I asked you to be in the center of it again?  What if I was in a position to offer you more? What would you do?” His eyes searched for the truth she was hesitant to share.
“Are you saying that?  Is that what you’re asking?”

Michael started to feel like he was sparring with someone in some kind of duel with glass swords while circling each other on a platform that was resting on one single point, suspended over a bottomless abyss.  They both moved with extreme care, being on the defensive, fearing one wrong move could result in incredible, irreparable disaster. 
He decided to jump off the platform and to take her with him.  Relinquishing her shoulders, he took her hand and marched her off to Princes’ bedroom.

“What…?” She protested, but followed behind.

He opened the door, and they stepped into the nursery where the little man was taking his morning nap. Michael and Lisa stood over his crib and Lisa reached out, touching the sweet baby’s cheek without waking him.

“See this?” He whispered.
“Prince?” She replied in the same hushed tone.
“Yeah.  He made it all worth it.  I mean, I’m still so sorry I hurt you, but when I look at him, play with him, hold him, I know it all happened for a reason.  Maybe he was God’s way to teach me something.  I learned that great gifts come from great loss, and that just when we think we have no chance to ever find happiness again, there is hope.  He should have been ours, Lise, you know that.”

Glancing over at her, he saw her wiping a tear away. She nodded.

“Well, I never thought I could have it all.  But now there is hope again.  I need to believe that.  He is our son, no matter who his mother is.  The little girl about to be born is ours, too, and this new baby,” he rested his hand on her stomach, “is certainly ours.  That’s what I want.  A future. With the children and  with you. There is no happiness with only parts of that. Come on…how can I make you see that I’m serious?”
He pulled her with him into his bedroom down the hall.  Lisa entered and dropped herself into the sofa.

“So, what’s your point, Mike?  I am so fucking confused.”
“Well, I am confused, too.” He sat next to her, raking his fingers through his hair. “But, as you can see by the example of Prince, sometimes we have to take chances and work for what we want. We fuck up and we try again, until we get it perfect.  But we have to reach for the gifts that are out there.  If we don’t, they stay fantasies made of nothing but air.  If we are too scared all the time, we will stay rooted in place.”
“I don’t want to stay in place.  But how do we move forward and not mess everything up again?  Only, this time, it would be so much worse.  We share this baby now, Mike. If we don’t make it, it will kill me. If we don’t’ make it, we will fuck him or her up.”
“How about we don’t think about not making it?  How about we concentrate on making it work?  How about we invest hard work and sacrifice? Don’t run, Lisa, don’t hide again.”
“What makes you think I’m gonna run?”
“I tell you I wanna get rid of my marriage and you pull up your defenses, acting like I do it all for the baby. That hurts.  I mean, jeeze, don’t you know by now that I’m fucking stuck on you?”
She cocked her head and a smile stole onto her lips and into her eyes. “Is that a declaration of love?”
He lowered his eyes this time, then glanced up at her. “Something like that.”
“Well, I am fucking stuck on you, too.”
“So, Lise. If I manage to get out of this early, can you promise not to run?  Can you promise to take that leap?”
“And if you can’t get out of it early?”
“Then I still want you to wait it out with me.”
“Gosh, Mike.  It’s not like I have not been waiting…” She threw her hands up in frustration.
“Yeah, I know. But be honest: part of you knew that as long as I was married, I was Mr. Bad Guy who was to blame for not making an honest woman out of you.  When I’m free, when I ask you to be mine, I need to trust that you won’t let others freak you out.”
“Others?”
“Yeah, you know, like Priscilla, aka, my biggest fan.  And your ex, and other people who think I lead you astray…”
“Well you do lead me astray.  In all kinds of weird and unholy positions…” Her eyes turned smoky for a second before she kissed him, then became serious again. “Can you promise that we will be united again, like we were?  That you also will keep people out that have no business being on the inside? Can you promise to deal with trouble head on and not pretend all is peachy?”
His forehead furrowed.  “Is that what I did?”
Lisa had to laugh.  “Yeah.  You have problems with conflict.”
“No, I don’t.  I just ignore them.”
“Yeah, that’s the problem.”
“Oh… Ok.  But yeah, I want us to be united again.  I have never felt anything like that before and not since.”
“Ok, I want that, too.  And I will stop listening to idiots who poison what I know is true.  What I know is true about you.” She reached out and cupped his face.
“Which is?”

She leaned in and Michael kept eye contact until she was so close to him her blue eyes became blurry and took over his visual field, making him feel like he was drowning in the sea of her emotions.
They had both closed their eyes and their lips were slightly parted.  Each touched the face of the other, while waiting for something, anything, to complete the kiss.

Lisa whispered.  “Which is that I love you and that I know you love me.  For ever…” She kissed him gently, “…and ever.”

The gentle kiss took his breath away.  It was an affirmation of their love, a rebirth of trust, and a commitment to the future.  As the kiss deepened, they inhaled each other, tasted of each other, and held on, ready to once again enter the place where all logical thought ended.  He broke away, kissing her neck, enjoying her little moans. Shit…he had to end this before he got carried away, and would risk having Debbie appear on the scene like an unwelcome genie once again.  No, that would probably not be helpful to his cause at all.

“Baby…” he whispered between kisses.
“Hmmm…” Lisa’s head had fallen back into the couch, granting him wonderful access to her, making him think of nothing else but to just free himself and find bliss and fulfillment one more time before having to step up and face conflict. 
“Gosh, I want you so much.  But we better stop.”
“Yeah, we better…” She pulled him toward her, making him forget his intentions as her tongue sought entrance into his mouth which he greedily granted. 
Lisa broke away next, scooting up, coming to rest in his lap, her head on his shoulder, as one hand gently played with her hair and his other massaged her back.  If she thought having her little ass on him and her legs by his thighs was helpful in making him calm down, she was sadly mistaken. 
Somehow they managed to keep from taking things further while still enjoying their closeness.  Michael helped Lisa pack the few things she had brought over, and she helped him feed Prince his lunch before heading out. 
He had scooped up his son, walking her to her car, making sure he took her bag out for her.

“You are so sweet.  I am not an invalid, you know.”
“You know, can’t you just enjoy having an old-fashioned man crazy in love with you, woman?”
She laughed and hugged him. “Ok, cave-man.  As long as you promise to mark me with that club of yours later, I shut up.”
He giggled and kissed her. “Hey, watch out, baby here.  Or babies.”
She looked up at Prince who was sandwiched between them and kissed his cheek, brushing his hair to the side. “He doesn’t understand.  If he did, I’d just tell him that his Daddy had a big, strong club just like Fred Flintstone.”
“You’re nuts! I have to make sure you are not naughty like this around the kids. By the way, will you tell Ben and Riley about the baby?”
“Yeah, I think so.  I just don’t know how I’m gonna do it. Or when exactly. But I better do it soon before my mother drops the bomb.”
“Well, can I be there?”
She looked up at him. “You want to? Really?”
“Yeah, I think so.  I mean, if it’s ok with you.”
“Sure… You wanna come over tomorrow?”
“I’d love that, Lise.” Feeling happy that she agreed to include him in that important moment, he pulled her close once more.  He loved Riley and Ben just like they were his children and their inclusion into the family plans were important to him.
A noise distracted him and his gaze travelled along the drive way, spying Debbie’s car coming toward them.  Oh great, perfect timing.  He had hoped to have some time to get ready for her.  Lisa looked behind her and started to pull away.
“Don’t.” He kept his arm around her and she raised an eyebrow, not used to him showing affection like this toward her in front of Debbie. Well, he was surprised by his reaction as well, but realized he was sick and tired of hiding how he felt, and change might as well start now.
Debbie pulled out and stepped out of her SUV. If looks could kill, the drive way would be a battlefield with only one pregnant woman left standing. 

“Michael.” She nodded toward him curtly, then switched to her annoying cooing voice for the baby. 
“Hey, baby boy Prince.  How is my big boy today?”  She glanced over at Lisa. “Lisa.  I did not expect to see you here.  I’m glad to see you seem to be doing better.” Her tone could have cut glass, but at least she was being semi polite.
“Hi Debbie. Lisa was just leaving for now. Just see yourself in.  I will be right there.”

Debbie stayed in place, still glaring at Lisa.

“Hi, Debbie.  Yes, thank you. I’m much better.” Lisa turned her attention back to him. “Bye, Mike.  I’ll talk to you later ok?” She kissed Prince once more. “Bye, baby boy. Till later.” Prince reached out for her and grabbed her face, kissing her back.  Michael’s heart melted, as Debbie’s stoic expression started to crack.
“Ah, Debbie, do you mind taking him inside?  I will be right in.  Thanks so much.”  He reluctantly, handed Debbie his son.  Surprisingly, she did not argue back and headed into the house.
“Ok, I call you later. Please drive carefully.” He pulled Lisa close one more time.
“I think you are in more danger from Nursey than I am on the highways.”
“Be nice!”
“Always.”
“When you’re not naughty.”
“You love it.” She winked and kissed him once more.
“Yeah, I do.” God, it was hard to let her go.  Maybe it was good to get a little break.  Her presence was growing on him too quickly. 

Laughing softly, Lisa got into her Mercedes and he stepped up, holding the car door. She grabbed the handle to pull it close and he resisted.
“Mike, you gotta let go. It might help me to drive off.  I don’t want to drag you down your driveway, you know. It would mess up your nice pj’s.”

Why was she always hating on his pj’s?

“Hey, you know what?” He bent down kissed her one more time.
“What?”
“I love you.”
She beamed up at him. “Well, that’s very convenient, cause I love you, too. Now, go and dazzle her with those master negation skills.”
“Call me when you get home.”
“Yes, Dad!”
Laughing, he closed her car door for her.  She started to drive off, then stopped, rolling down her window.
“I love you!” She blew him one more kiss, then sped off.  How many times had he told her to go slow on the driveway?  Crazy little woman!
“I love you more.” He whispered to himself.

Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself and walked into the house.  Anticipating to find Debbie in the salon with Prince, he was surprised to discover her alone.  She was at the window, obviously having followed his little good-bye with Lisa.  So much for privacy.  Well, Debbie had seen much more intimate encounters, so maybe he should just count his blessings. 

“Where’s Prince?”
“With his nanny.”

She obviously had not wasted any time to hand the boy off.  Oh well, it was better that way. Prince was starting to bond with Lisa, and he did not want him to get confused by this other woman who had no emotional ties to him.  He wanted his children to respect Debbie for having given them life, but beyond that, he did not have any plans for them to be connected to her.  If everything went right.  The silence between them was awkward and Michael weighed how to best get to the point.

“Cool.  How’s the baby?”
“Fine.  She’s kicking away.  I bet she will be a little force to be reckoned with.”
A smile entered his face. “Yes, I bet so.”
More silence spreading filling the empty space.
“So, Debbie.  There are some serious things I have to discuss with you.  I would not have bothered you with coming over had it not been serious.”
“I know.  But before we go further, there is something I have to show you.”
No! He did not want her to interrupt what he had to say.  Before he could interject, she held out a paper to him that looked like a tabloid rag.  Great.  Now, what?

“What is it?”

He had long ago sworn to not let this dreck be in his house.  He did not care what it said, he did not have to read it. 

“Well, seems like someone in Lisa’s camp is making waves.”

Waves?  Against his better judgment he took the paper and froze.

DID JACKO PUSH EX DOWN THE STAIRS TO KEEP HER FROM SPILLING THE BEANS? WILL PREGNANT DEBBIE TELL THE TRUTH OR KEEP THE COVER?

Fucking hell! The article was accompanied by one of the quintessential picture of him looking like a deranged lunatic between a pictures of Lisa and Debbie.  Lisa looked like she was about eighteen in the picture, while Debbie looked like a bloated whale in need of a Greenpeace rescue mission. 
Feeling sick, he fought the urge to rip up the rag, and instead concentrated on not passing out from his heart beating into his neck and his breathing spiraling out of control.  He felt himself shaking.  Sitting down he noticed his hands were clenched into fists.  How in the world did these vile words still manage to affect him?  How come he was not used to the cruelty yet?  What had he ever done to deserve any of this?

“Michael, I’m sorry.  I can see you’re upset.  But I had to show you.”

No, she did not have to show him.  She could have just told him.  The little show and tell was totally unnecessary.  Unless, she suspected what he was going to say and had launched her own little distraction project.

“So, what’s it say?” He had given up enough power.  For now, he chose to not read another poisonous word. 
She reached over and took the rag from him. “It says that Lisa had an accident in your house and that sources close to her have let it leak that she could not live with herself for having covered for you in 93. That she was going to tell you that she was coming clean, and that somehow she ended up in an ambulance.”
“They accuse me of pushing her?” He really, really hoped they did.  This time they had crossed the line.  He would sue the shit out of them.  They would wish they had never heard of him or misused his name.
“Well, no, they skirt around that very nicely.  They insinuate you did.  It also said that investigating officers were contacted and police sources revealed that there would be an investigation.”
“For what?  This is just ridiculous.  You were there.  You saw what happened. I did not push her.”
“Yeah, like it said, I was the only witness.”

He did not like the tone she used.  His eyes narrowed in suspicion. A horrible thought occurred.

“What are you saying, Debbie.”
“What? Nothing.” She was the image of pure innocence. “Can I have some tea, Michael?”

He rose, informing her that the staff was off. 

“Oh, really? Just you and Lisa here?   Was she visiting?”
“I’ll make you the tea.  You wanna come with me?” Not liking her fishing expedition, he also did not want her out of his sight. 
“Oh sure! Gladly.”
Debbie noticed the breakfast dishes still on the table in the breakfast nook.  “Breakfast, hum?”
“Late lunch.”
“I see.” Debbie continued to watch his every move as he took the dishes to the sink. 

Michael put the pot on for the tea. God, he had not counted on this damn tabloid stuff to mess things up.  He could not shake the impression that Debbie seemed to somehow threaten to make a false statement.  No, he had to be wrong.  Whatever happened, she once was his friend, and she would not lie like that about him.  Unless she feared he was about to cut her off from her funding stream.  Sooner than expected.  And, who was this “source close to Lisa?”  Well, that one did not require him to hire Sherlock Holmes.  Ok, he had to take this one thing at a time.  He had to refocus and keep his goal in mind.  Don’t let her distract him.  Maybe he just had to raise the stakes a bit and make the bait sweeter.
Michael handed her a cup of tea, making himself some chamomile tea to calm his nerves, and sat across the table from her.

“So, Debbie, the reason I asked you here was to talk about…”
“Well, whatever it was,”  she interrupted him, “I am sure we need to deal with this tabloid issue first. Don’t worry, Michael. I am your wife, I will not testify against you…. I mean, of course, I know you didn’t do anything, but I wanted to make sure you knew where I stood…”

Oh, he knew where she stood.  But she obviously forgot who she was dealing with. 

“Debbie.  The reason Lisa fell that day was because she was dizzy.”
“I know, I know.  I mean, she was so flustered, she kept coming after me, and then you kicked her out, and she was just so upset. I guess that got her dizzy.”

Interesting interpretation of events, but ok….

“Debbie, can you listen to me for one second?”
“I am listening to you, Michael. What?”
“We need to discuss our contract.”

She took a deep breath and turned red. Her hand came to rest on her tummy.

“There is no need to discuss that.  The baby will be born next month and then you will give me the amount of time we discussed so we can make the divorce seem legit. Unless things change.  Unless we decide to…”
“The divorce will seem legit, cause it will be legit.  But you’re right.  It’s unless things change.”

Debbie looked at him stunned, a surprised look on her face.

“Have you changed your mind about us?  I mean, about what I asked you last month?  I mean, now that you see?”

He started to become confused.  Change his mind about them?  What had she talked about last month? Oh, hell no! Not that again! She was not asking if he wanted to make this marriage real, was she?  How delusional could she get? And what was he supposedly seeing now?

“See what?” Maybe if she could lay it all out to him her puzzling behavior would become clearer.
“See Lisa for what she is.  I mean, I have no doubt that the ‘source’ is her, Michael.  She is angry that you kicked her out.  She is threatened that we are about to have another addition to our family.  Her mother called me, you know.  She said that Lisa was about to drop you and that she wanted to make sure I was there for you.”
“Priscilla called you?” This was getting weirder and weirder.  Maybe if he pinched himself he would wake up.  Was this how the paid for three days in paradise?
“Well, she also insinuated I might help things along if I hinted to the press that you and Lisa did have a fight that day.  But don’t worry, like I said, as long as I’m your wife, the ploy of your bitter little girlfriend won’t work.  I’ll stand by you.  I will be the one being there for you.”

What a generous offer.  Based on a totally alternate version of the truth, but generous nonetheless.  He hoped she had not inhaled any poisonous fumes lately.  How off could her perception be?  Had Debbie not just spied on him and Lisa kissing?  What about the scene of him standing with Lisa and Prince in his arms had been ambiguous?  Maybe walking in on them making love on the stairs had been too subtle after all.  What was it going to take to make Debbie understand that his future was with Lisa? 

“Debbie, hold on.  There is no way this source is Lisa.  She is not mad at me.  And, she is not jealous of the baby.”
“Of course, she is, Michael.  She was always a cocktease- pardon my French.  She just strung you along, withholding what you really wanted from her.”
“Debbie!” He really had not meant to shout, but there was just no other way around this.
“Why are you yelling at me?  What?”
“Lisa has no reason to be jealous. Lisa is pregnant with my child.”

The single statement was the last thing he had intended to share with her, but turned out to be the one thing stopping her cold in her tracks, her mouth gaping open, as she stared at him like a fish out of water.
Well, this was going really well…

(to be continued)


©2012 Erika B Michaels. All Rights Reserved. This story is a work of fiction. Any names, places, and other identifying features are used in a fictional manner, for entertainment purposes only, and are in no way representative of actual events. This work may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted, or stored without expressed written permission by Erika B Michaels. All photos and images, mentioned songs or song titles are copyright their creators. ABSOLUTELY no disrespect is intended to any persons portrayed in this work.














No comments:

Post a Comment